An Australia guided by the spirit of the Eureka Tradition as symbolised by the diggers' flag and oath:
"We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties"
Invitation to Book Launch
The Eureka Sydney Committee invites you to celebrate the 151st Anniversary of the Eureka Stockade with the launch of a new book by R.D. (Bob) Walshe.
"The Great Australian Gold Rush and Eureka Stockade"
Friday, 2nd December, 2005
Gleebooks, 49 Glebe Point Road, Glebe
6.30pm for 7.00pm
Bob Walshe will be presented by Rodney Cavalier,
and the Sydney Trade Union Choir will sing.
Bob Walshe says that the Eureka Stockade was the finest hour of the gold rush decade. He challenges people who think they know the Eureka story to think again.
Bob Walshe says Eureka Stockade has been grossly underated:
"Good history", says Bob, "is more than the study of the past; it's the present consulting human experience for guidance in handling today's troubles - and Eureka has heaps to suggest."
- It was/is the most dramatic single event in Australian history.
- It was an essentially defensive action against oppressive government.
- It swiftly won a remarkable series of reforms of goldfields administration.
- It launched the first truly 'popular movement' for reform of government.
- It radically questioned the meaning of the glibly used word 'democracy'.
- Its famous oath emphasised the need always to stand up for human rights.
- Its radical, republican, democracy-demanding tradition has never stopped growing, as last year's 150th Celebrations showed."
Above is the announcement of the 1954 celebration. At that time historian Bob Walshe wrote popular and academic articles about the Eureka Stockade.
He helped to organise the Sydney celebrations of the centenary of the Stockade in 1954 and then 50 years later did it all again.
Bob is an active environmentalist and is Patron of the Total Environment Centre.
Rodney Cavalier is Chairman of the NSW Government's committee for the celebration of the sesquicentenary of responsible government. He has been a member of the ALP for 37 years and was Minister for Education.
Cost: $9/$6 concession (includes complimentary wine)
Venue: Gleebooks, 49 Glebe Point Road. Glebe
To book: please phone 9660 2333
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org